Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Last Day in Guatamala

We got on the bus to Guatemala City early in the morning and figured we'd have most of the day there, after all it's only 45 minutes down the road from Antigua. Not the case, our bus was packed full of people heading to the capitol and we were one of the last stops! By the time we got dropped off, it was almost noon!


Guatemala City is a pretty typical Latin American capitol- too much smog, too many people, too little space. It's always interesting to walk around the main squares and see the majestic buildings, so that's what we did first. We saw the national library, government buildings, and cathedral.
We also went to a salon and Mom got her hair dyed and I got a manicure. After a nice day we went with our new friend, an Australian named Tobi, to a yummy dinner! It was a nice end to a great trip!


My favorite part of Guatemala City was this fortune telling bird guy that we ran into in the main square! So the way this mysterious thing worked was that you asked the guy a question- mine of course was would I ever find true love! He then chose the lucky bird and fed him and held up this pan full of papers which the bird picked out. I paid him for one paper which said that I already know my true love and would be realizing that soon! Hmmmm....












The next day I flew out at 8am after having my plane delayed two hours. I landed in Seattle at 7pm, after having my connecting flight CANCELLED, replaced on another flight out of L.A. and then having to walk the entire length of LAX only to be then given a full body cavity search by TSA (ok, not that bad, but I got chosen for the extended search where they wipe out the carry on bags with an alcohol wipe and that is then scanned for drugs!). I loved Guatemala but I really enjoyed my bed that first night back in the U.S. The next day I got Tucker from Jimbo and Charity's.

No comments: