Saturday, February 9, 2008

People

Come on, I'm a social worker, of course I'm looking at the people. The people were super nice! All of them were so gracious about letting us use Spanish (and not automatically converting to English) and patient with trying to understand us!

Guatemalan women seem to be very much connected to their traditional dress. The men not so much. The traditional outfit is a hupil (who-peel) which is the shirt made of multicolored fabrics and then embroidered around the neck. This embroidery work is stunning and is often flowers, but I also saw birds, people, and geometric designs. The skirts are one long piece of fabric and then tied with a sash that is also beautifully embroidered. Everything is very brightly colored and patterned. Shoes were usually sandals of some kind.

One tricky thing about the people is that they either don't want their picture taken or they want to be paid for it. The going rate seemed to be 5 quetzals (about $0.75). Usually I would include it in my barganing when I bought something from someone. This lady sold me my camera case, and I paid more than she asked for the privelidge. Not only is this a careful negotiation, you also have to know when to ask. A lot of Guatamalans frown on Americans taking pictures of their children This is apparently born out of concern that Americans only want to steal or adopt the children and taking pictures is seen as scouting. I have to say that this doesn't seem altogether paranoid to me, we saw a lot of white parents with latino looking babies!

And who wouldn't want to take their pictures, the childen were super cute! These pictures were taken at a market in Antigua and the mother was very friendly and gracious when I asked. The girls were playing on their own in the first picture and then posed for me in the second, I'm not sure which one is my favorite.













These kids were pusing thier cart along the cobblestone streets of Antigua one morning. They were cute and clearly responsible, I couldn't resist! They seemed amused by the tourists.

No comments: