Friday, February 15, 2008

Panajachel and Santigo Atitlan

We woke up and headed down to the main strip of town for breakfast. After that we did some shopping and then walked down to see the lake in the daytime. Then we wen to the boat dock to take a boat ride across the lake to Santigo Atitlan




For about $3 we were able to boat across the lake, about a half hour ride. On the way we met a nice Guatamalan family on vacation. Their children were adorable and they appreciated my promises to send them the pictures I took of them.



Santigo Atitlan was a great little place. Slower then the crowds of Chichicastenango, and less touristy and commercial then Panajachel, it was a great place to spend the afternoon.



The entire trip I had been looking for something to go over my mantel. I originally wanted a silver or tin mirror, but no luck in Guatemala. I then looked for a pretty embroidered cloth that was big enough, but not too big! No luck, nothing seemed quite right. Mom and I stumbled into this painting shop and I found the perfect painting for that spot. After lugging it home and then having it restreched, it's perfetct in my house! Mom got one too, a painting of coffee pickers.





There were a lot of other things to buy in this town besides paintings. One commonly sold item is a hupil (pronounced who-peel) which are the shirts that a lot of the women wear. They are lovely! This shop caught my eye because of the bright colors and the rusting tin roof.










We also enjoyed walking through the town including another market (less artisans things and more household goods and food). Also an impressive church on a large square.




And everything in the shadows of volcanos.

No comments: